October Reads 📚

I can't believe I'm actually admitting that I like reading. Who knew this day would come! When I was a kid, everyone overly emphasized reading; so I chose to resent it. I only read Harry Potter. Now, as my hunger for knowledge grows, books are my new best friends and I read more than ever! I had the goal of reading one book every month (anything over that would be too much!); I'm a very slow reader, but managed to finish two books in less than a week! 😱I'd love to make this a series and share what I read at the end of each month. Without further ado, here are my October reads...


- The Year of Less, by Cait Flanders
I picked this up to learn about someone else's no-buy year experience (and I finished it while on a hiking trip :). As I said before, I love jumping into these [somewhat drastic] challenges to discover what I'm capable of. Flanders also did a month-long television ban, which inspired me to do a YouTube ban. In addition to the shopping ban, she discussed her struggles with drinking and *stuff.* I empathized with her binge-eating to numb pain and feeling deeply depressed when life didn't go the way she thought it would.

I enjoyed going on this journey with her, watching her navigate her problems by looking inward rather than piling food, alcohol, and material items on top of them; solving problems the real way. I wanted her to get better. I wanted her to have control. And I appreciate that she didn't sugarcoat anything, but was honest and didn't shy away from leaving out the uncomfortable stuff. I also like that she talked about how her year-long shopping ban impacted her LIFE, not just her shopping habits.

This book is great for the new year; I recommend it if you want to change your shopping habits, change how you handle tough situations, or if you're interested in downsizing.


- The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas
No matter what your context, this is a MUST READ. I almost didn't read this book because of the hype, but I'm so, SO glad that I did. It's essentially the Black Lives Matter movement in narrative form. My sister borrowed it from the library; I was taking a break from reading at the time (so that I wouldn't burn out), but picked this up, read the first page, and was hooked. I finished it in four days. I had hoped to learn about the Black experience, but gained so much more: I admired the main character, Starr (that usually never happens). We both have very different experiences, but I've never cared for or related to a character this much. She's smart and witty and so much fun. I was rooting for her the whole time.

There is A LOT packed in this story; from family dynamics to being a Black girl to gang violence to, of course, police brutality. I teared up many times (that also never happens). I won't talk too much about the plot because it's better left a surprise. But let's just say this book is about the world through a Black girl's eyes. Essential to my racial justice education. I adored Angie Thomas's writing (I've never laughed so much while reading!) and absolutely loved the characters she created. They will always have a special place in my heart.


- Dracula, by Bram Stoker
I wanted something spooky for Halloween. Vampires, bloodsucking (ew), the Dead! I was afraid it wouldn't pack the spook, but was pleasantly surprised. Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I enjoyed the dark themes. But I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much had I read it any other time.

That being said, it took me forever to read. It was a little bit of a drag and there were some sexist bits, but that's how classics work!

Let me know what you read in October. I would love some spooky recommendations for next year. So excited to continue writing this series; it'll be great motivation to continue reading!

Happy Belated Halloween! I had fun; I obviously dressed up. I was a [modern] witch. I spent time with friends, walking around their neighborhood admiring the decorations, watched ParaNorman (while in my costume), ate a bunch of candy, and my grandmother made an Indian sweet, which was delicious. I hope you too had a hOrifFyiNg Halloween! 


Y ¡Feliz Día de los Muertos!

This week's Healthy Habit: Read ten pages of a book that you are currently reading. If you're not reading something, here's your motivation to start!

Have a wonderful week!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts