American Moor


On the occasions I get to watch theatre, I get so excited and try to make everything as perfect as possible. My clothes, my mother's readiness, transportation. As unpunctual as I am, I won't let myself miss a single minute of a production. My most recent play was a one-person play called American Moor, performed at the Emerson Paramount Theatre, featuring Keith Hamilton Cobb. This theatre is part of Emerson college, which I'm actually considering for the college application, and this theatre fulfills my "nice performance space" criteria. It's so pretty! The seating is very traditional-looking, as well as the interior, but the stage is very modernized, as you'll see.


As for American Moor, I have no words. The actor and writer, same person, of the play crafted the dialogue perfectly. The play is about a black man auditioning to be Othello, a black Shakespearean character. When auditioning, the man receives critiques from a white director. The actor becomes agitated that this person is telling him how to represent a powerful black man. When walking into the theatre, we could see the actor pacing on the stage. You can actually see him in the picture above leaning against a step ladder. You see the character evolve from processing everything in his head (shown on the stage with light changes) to finally confronting the director about telling him how to be Othello. I could tell that everything the actor said was from years and years of thinking these things as a black actor. The words of this play were so eloquent and they JUST WORKED! I also want to point out that the Paramount has a side stage for actors who sign for deaf theatergoers. When the black actor spoke, a black actor signed. Acknowledgement of everyone in the community? Check!


I also must say I thought I would become slightly bored after a while, being that the play was one person and a side character, but Cobb kept everything fresh and I never leaned into my seat. I was always leaning forward and I wasn't the only one. While I thought Cobb's monologues were terrific, I wanted there to be come sort of resolution between him and the director. Because recognizing tension is one thing, but trying to make better is another. And there was a resolution, for Cobb, but not so much for the director, who ended with a "thank you for coming" after Cobb confronts him. I guess oblivious to the larger social problem. Why should a white director tell a black person how to act out a black character? Is it really his or her place? Don't answer that.

When leaving the theatre, I had some trouble processing. I was just.... contemplating. This actor had drawn us into his mind closer and closer before blowing up in our face. That's what I had trouble processing. And that's why I love the play. I think good theatre either makes you look at something differently or learn something new, or it makes you not know what to think and you're just kind of a blob. Who can explain it? An amazing play with a simple set, and simple lighting that plays the barrier between Cobb's mind and what he says. 


I have a confession to make. My English teacher is giving me extra credit to see this play. But in my defense... I love seeing plays. They're a terrific motivator for me to think deeply, less obliviously, and become more serious about my acting. And as Hamlet puts it, theatre puts a mirror up to the crusty face of reality. I did actually run into someone from my class in the theatre and I did get extra credit. My mom enjoyed it, too. Plays are absolutely terrific and I'm looking forward for the annual Shakespeare on the Common event to come to town. Remember that? See a play! 

Comments

Popular Posts