Opinions On Cultural Appropriation

As a junior in high school, I have at least some sort of moral code. And being on the Ethics Bowl Team, my code is as formed as can be (for lack of better phrasing). One subject that I just cannot stand is cultural appropriation. This is a very broad topic. I know it means different things for different people. What is considered cultural appropriation and what is a bit of a stretch? I come from an Indian background and I've noticed Indian history isn't really taught in my school, only a brief chunk, before doing a large European unit. And while this is the case, I feel pieces of Indian culture as well as many other Asian cultures are appropriated the most. But let's start at the beginning. 

What do I consider cultural appropriation and what is my definition? Cultural appropriation to me is taking a piece of culture (clothing, ritual, beliefs, etc.) and placing it in an entirely different context. For example wearing traditional Native American (not Indian) head dresses during Victoria's Secret fashion shows, or using Mexican skeleton designs used on Dia de Los Muertos as Halloween decorations, or this:


This poster I found in Newbury Comics depicts Jimmy Hendrix as a Hindu God. Not a person, a God.  I just stood in the store wearing a long face. What gives him, a rock singer, the right to portray himself in such a serious way. Next to him appear to be the heads of other very important Hindu gods and goddesses: Ganapati, Hanuman, Krishna, Lakshmi, Saraswati (who I'm named after btw 😊). When I saw this picture, I was so enraged! First of all, there is no existent Hindu god with the heads of all the other Hindu deities' attached. What is that? It's so over the top! What are all the little designs on Hendrix's many arms?! I've never seen anything like this in India or in temples. Secondly, I don't understand why Hendrix had to portray himself this way. Couldn't he have found a more respectful (and less ignorant way) of creating a music album? I mean seriously! This isn't some sort of hip or exotic look. It's a religion! No person in India would portray themselves like this!

A lot of celebrities use pieces of other cultures out of context to seem hip and whatnot. It's not working for people whose cultures they're misinterpreting. I understand this isn't the most prominent social issue, but it's something I see quite often. I feel it's something that affects me the most. People who don't know me well often make generalizations about me; they assume I'm smart because I'm Indian, get a 4.0 GPA (most definitely NOT the case) . Someone asked me if I was Muslim. I'm not offended, but why does it matter? Are you Muslim? These generalizations are part of a bigger social problem.

It's a wrap on the rant! Thanks for reading and remember to be mindful of things like this. That tattoo of an Om might look cool and hip, but it is the symbol of Hinduism. I wouldn't get a Cross tattoo because I thought it was hip. That being said, school systems should really gear their history curriculums towards thoroughly covering every part of the world. All I've learned about Africa is the founding of the ancient kingdoms. But how did African countries become the way they are today? Why are we not learning anything relevant about China? Its the most populated country and a US trade partner! What about Mexico? Guatemala? Indonesia? Pakistan? Afghanistan? 

Again thanks for reading! Comment below: do you think cultural appropriation is a valid concern! Stay ethical! 😎

Comments

Popular Posts