Bonus: 🍂Autumn-Themed Hiking Trip! 🍁

Today, I bring you my "autumn-themed" hiking trip that I took with my family two Saturdays ago. You ever wanna feel inspired? You visit the White Mountains! We wanted to take advantage of the fall colors ASAP. I love a good hiking trip every now and again, especially in the fall. Aside from the gorgeous colors, fall temperatures are the the most ideal for hiking. I'm not sweating my balls off, but I'm also not freezing to death, you feel? I really put my amateur photography skills to the test, but most of the skill came from my iPhone, let's be honest :) There were so many beautiful, intricate details in the forest that it was so hard to pick and choose what deserved capturing. Essentially the purpose of this post was to share my photographs with you (I've been really enjoying photographing nature lately).

This year, however, the leaves have been turning brown before turning that crisp red and orange color and it's been very frustrating. There's no denying this peculiarity is attributed to climate change. I'm just so shocked that I'm bearing witness to this drastic change in patterns. Mind you, I haven't been around that long. Finding those combinations of colors was very difficult (you might notice that in the pictures. I should also probably mention that I shaved my head!). I had to pay extra close attention as to where the most variety of colors was. 

Every time I go for a hike, I either look forward to the breathtaking views or the delicate vegetation. This time I was mostly looking forward to the latter. I used to think the Northeast didn't have interesting flora compared to tropical parts of the world, but the White Mountains proved me wrong. The flora is absolutely surreal there. I felt like I was in an enchanted forest (because in a way, I was).

Aside from my photography skills, this hike really tested my legs. Even when I hiked Mt. Washington two years ago, the slopes weren't this steep. But I only woke up the next morning with a sore butt. 

Hiking time is gratitude time. I remember how fortunate I am to have two functioning arms and two functioning legs that allow me to reach the top of a mountain. I take some deep breaths and am grateful for having access to air this fresh. I express my appreciation for the White Mountains National Forest and remember that what I'm seeing at the present time might not be what I see in the next year. Because climate change is hauntingly transforming so many landscapes. Just look at the leaves: in so few years, the leaves clearly aren't properly changing colors. 

The White Mountains in particular offer true quiet. There are no airplanes flying over us or cars or sirens. I can only hear the breeze, the rustling leaves, acorns dropping, and the occasional squirrel or chipmunk. I love taking advantage of the quiet and seeking solace in the woods.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts