The Basic Smoothie 🍹

Whenever I feel like I'm lagging behind with the whole "healthy eating habit" thing, I usually turn to my good friend the smoothie. To credit healthy eaters, smoothies are the go-to way to get a good source of fiber, award your body with an energy boost, and absorb all the necessary nutrients you need the minute you gulp one down. Might I also say, they're flippin' convenient! (as oppose to a salad that requires a lot of chewing, which takes a little too long sometimes). Now I wouldn't call this is a recipe, more like a concoction of ingredients.

I'm not one to usually follow smoothie recipes by the teaspoon, but I always like to try a new "concoction" On the days I can't be innovative and have to rush to get to school, I always look to my handy basic smoothie recipe. Each ingredient in this recipe carries some sort of nutritional value and, as a bonus, it tastes great! I never get too tired of it. To spice it up (not literally) I like to soak chia seeds in water and then pour that into the mason jar with my smoothie to add that extra crunch (and extra protein). Or I just accompany it with a [healthy] side snack like grapes or watermelon.


These ingredients are interchangeable, so if you're more of a berries person, switch the mango for berries. As for extra flavor-adders, I'll list all the ones I would use and you can experiment to see which one you like. And to avoid any confusion, this smoothie should be GREEN (at least if you don't add berries). I hope you enjoy!

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup of water ( you may have to add more later)
  • 1-2 handfuls of spinach 
  • 1 cup of frozen mango
  • 1/2 cup of frozen pineapple
  • 1 tbsp of lemon or lime juice
  • 4-5 leaves of mint or a pinky-sized piece of ginger
  • A decent blender that'll do the job

Instructions

1) Add the water and spinach to the blender and .... blend.
2) Once thoroughly blended, add the frozen mango and pineapple and .... blend again. Add extra water if you notice it's difficult to blend.
3) Add the lemon or lime juice and "flavor-adder" of your choice and .... blend one more time. Make sure ingredients are thoroughly blended. Pour into a mason jar and .... ENJOY!


Again, hope you enjoy! Comment below: what's something you've always wanted to try in a smoothie?

Comments

Popular Posts