Shakespeare on the Common

I wouldn't say I am absolutely obsessed with Shakespeare, but I definitely do have a thing for his various plays and use of words. When I went to this year's Shakespeare on the Common, a performance of Richard III, I was blown away.

I expected to see people in Elizabethan costumes, so large dresses and puffy pants, acting in a very "Shakespeare" way if you understand what I mean. I assumed that I wouldn't understand most of it but I dragged my mom and siblings along anyway.

Shakespeare on the Common is an annual Boston tradition made possible by the Shakespeare Commonwealth Company. They perform Shakespearean plays every summer......for free! For those of you in New York, you must know that this event takes place in Central Park also!




















The fact that the company does shows for free is so admirable. Not everyone can afford an $1000 tickets to Hamilton, but everyone deserves to experience the beauty of theater. And yet this company was able bring the same quality acting to the stage without putting a price on it.

I was looking around and saw so many people, all respectful of the performers, staying engaged and intrigued. I never knew there were so many people who took interest in the work of Shakespeare. I just loved the communal and unifying effect of the whole thing.

Besides the audience, the performers! Gosh! I've always felt that Shakespearean acting and the Middle English language, couldn't exactly capture the truth of human emotions, knowing this from watching movies in school. 

Watching and experiencing the play in person turned that around all right! The acting was raw and pure. Richard III did have a lot of drama packed into it; from the death of a king, to the death of children, and confessions of characters and I could empathize all the characters. Even Richard III.

Aside from that, the costumes, which had a touch of modernity, were pretty inventive along with the movable stage and extravagant lighting.


I've found that throughout high school, I've disliked a lot of aspects of humanity: politics, excessive environmental damage, and even just the way people act sometimes. But I've gotten time to look around a bit and have found myself really enjoying the theater community. Its always found a way of making me happy; through the kindness and respect of so many different people. Differences are set aside to make something truly special.

That's why I felt like sharing this experience with you all. Attending such a community-binding event was a great way of spending my Saturday evening. Without a doubt.




If you ever find yourself in the Boston area one midsummer's night (deliberate pun), do check out this gem of an experience.

Comments

Popular Posts