Create an Awesome Essay with these 7 Fervid Words!

Throughout high school I've always felt that I didn't have the same knowledge or smarts as my fellow classmates. Other students would know the answer to complicated AP questions while I would just sit there staring off into space. But as the school year went on, I found that my intellect lied with my use of vocabulary words. I easily learned how to use "fancy-sounding" words in my English and history essays for high school. Vocab words are a great way of expressing your intellect and you'll get free pointers from your teacher easily (I did). Evidently it's also a great way to make titles more attractive, as you'll see from the use of the word, "fervid". Ironic ain't it?


Most of these words were taken from vocab lists provided by my teachers. Others I got from SAT prep books, but for some reason I've just enjoyed learning the meanings of words that no one uses in day to day conversation. Its just fun. I'm sharing these specific words because I feel there's a funny story behind each of them so, stay tuned.

As random as it may seem, as a matter of fact, knowing these words has been useful; it gives me the edge and will definitely make you sound like you know what you're talking about. So without further ado, let's get into learning some new words!


Ambivalent

I want to start with this one because I'd see it a lot when studying for the SAT or reading a book and I knew what it meant for a second or too, but its meaning would just fizzle out in my mind. So I advise really drilling in your head what these words mean if you want to go anywhere with them. I think this word in particular is perfect to use when trying to write a sophisticated and polished essay.

Ambivalent means TO HAVE MIXED FEELINGS ON THE TOPIC OF SOMETHING OR SOMEONE. If you were to use the word in a sentence it would sound something like, "the corporation was feeling ambivalent on the subject of using real fur," or "She wasn't happy or sad, rather ambivalent towards her family."

Come to think of it, there are a lot of words that start with the amb- prefix that can be worked into essays (e.g. ambitious, ambiguous). I tend to see this word appear on a lot of SAT practice tests, so if you're in that boat, this word is good to know. If you can just work this word into a conversation, people will look at you and think, whoa, you smart.

Voluptuous

Yes, voluptuous, a word I thought was actually called "velumptuous" but I suppose not. My friends and I were watching Grey's Anatomy and my friend pointed out that the characters looked voluptuous in a certain scene. And I had never heard that word before but I guess I felt enlightened because I'm writing about it now. Also it's just really fun to say. Voluptuous.

It means HAVING A LUXURIOUS OR SELF INDULGENT NATURE. To use this word in a sentence would sound like,"those trees look so voluptuous swaying in the breeze like that." Yes, using this word will make you feel voluptuous, but you may feel ambivalent on the sound of it.


Spasmodic

I'm honestly recommending this word simply because I like the way it sounds. It was used in a book I was reading as a summer assignment. When I read the word I thought, "this is perfect to use as an anecdote for my next post!"I don't know if it's best work this into a conversation, but if you want to start that trend, I say go for it!

Something that is spasmodic is something that is SPONTANEOUS OR SUDDEN. This word can sometimes have a negative interpretation, but not always. So how do you use this word? Well, there may be instances where a "spasmodic scream" occurs or a "spasmodic ray of sunshine" illuminates. Here's another example: "spasmodically using new words is great habit to develop!"

Blatant

Like the word ambivalent, this was a word that didn't make sense to me for a while. I've heard this word being used in so many different ways. But let's just cut to the chase.

Blatant means, in casual terms, something said or done"out-of-the-blue", but formally speaking it would mean OPENLY OR SUDDENLY. In a way the word is similar to spasmodic, but it seems to be used more in daily conversation. 

You could say I'm blatantly stating the definition of blatant; or that I blatantly wore a ball gown to school. Anything works.




Myriad

This is another one of those words that is just fun to say. Myriad. Myriad. It was also mentioned in the book I mentioned above. Its so nice when you find out that your little "hobbies" of looking for new words pays off.

Myriad means MANY OR IN ABUNDANCE OF. I bet that's not what you thought it meant. There is a myriad of vocabulary words I have provided you with. I have a myriad of T-Shirts with me (that's true). Make sure to write a before the word because myriad is a noun.

I like this word. I'll probably use this in a conversation or essay someday.

Pragmatic

I came across this word while trying to prepare for the SAT. The book I was using had a list of words to know for the test and I felt like being excessive so I decided to make flashcards of the twenty or so words that are uncommon. Among these was the word pragmatic. And as I was studying these words I had the slightest hunch that what I was doing was wasting time. But I was sorely mistaken.

During one of my prep classes my teacher asked the class, rather blatantly, what pragmatic means?! I answered without hesitating and was right. For that reason I am sharing this word with you: you'll never guess when knowing the meaning of a vocab word will come in handy.

Pragmatic means PRACTICAL, REALISTIC, or PRUDENT. To make a pragmatic choice is to make a practical choice. 

Behoove

This word is my favorite of all! I'm glad I saved it for last because it comes with quite a story. How did I come across this word you ask? Well it happened on one Wednesday afternoon when I was prepping for a debate with my fellow classmates. We were having a conversation about something and our coach said something along the lines of, "it would behoove you to take this." One of my classmates just started laughing at the sound of the word. She said, "what kind of word is that?" and our coach responded, "I'm an English teacher. I have to use words like that." In that moment, hearing the word was quite a good laugh after a bland day of school.

Behoove is a verb that means SOMEONE OR SOMETHING SHOULD DO A CERTAIN SOMETHING. It can also be described as A DUTY OR RESPONSIBILITY OF SOMEONE OR SOMETHING.

I fully recommend using this word in conversation if you want to seem intellectual and studious. It'll do the same in your essays. Use it to make your friends and family laugh if you want. Trust me; you will get a laugh out of them.



Well, there is my list of words worthy of making an appearance in your perfect essay. I do plan on creating another list of words that can make your essay sound more professional. But rather than being complex words, they are just more sophisticated your typical conversation words.

I still don't know why exactly I invest my time in learning new and complex words (many of which have very basic meanings), but it is something I want to continue because it is something that has proved useful to me in multiple instances as you know.

Besides, everyone loves complicated words with really basic meanings. Right? ☺️


Comments

Popular Posts